Download

Sunday, December 4, 2011

On 20:27 by AINUL69   No comments
I am a smoker. I have been a smoker for 28 years, without once ever giving up. This is not a piece against non-smokers nor it is advocating smoking. It is simply my views and feelings on what I believe my rights are as a smoker.

I have been criticized,harassed and even abused by many people over the years - mainly by those who fall into the ever-nagging, reformed smokers category. I sincerely applaud anyone who has wanted to give up smoking and has done so successfully. I also very much repect that smoking does bother and is indeed unpleasant to the non-smoker. However, do not condemn me just because I have not conformed to the majority and still smoke. I am not a doctor so I do not attempt to dispute any facts or figures that are put forward in regard to the consequences of smoking. Why do I smoke? I enjoy it - it is that simple. Why have I not joined the thousands of smokers that have given up? I have not ever had a desire to give up. Therefore without any genuine motivation, I do not believe that I could ever successfully quit.


Whether smoking is harmful to one's health or not is irrelevant to the fact that I smoke because I choose to do so. It's my choice. Admittedly if I took what the medical profession says about cigarette smoking at face value, I probably would never have lit up my first cigarette as a teenager. My non-smoking friends are always nagging me to quit, telling me I'm going to die. Yes, I will die some day. I'm not immortal. Will my nicotine addiction speed up the process? I do not know but I really do not dwell on it either. If my reasoning amounts to stupidity or ignorance on my part then I will be the one who will suffer the consequences in the long term. I have known so many people who boast about how easily they just quit the habit. The question is: how many times previously have these strong-willed non-smokers really "given up for good" - and will they actually never light up another cigarette in their lifetime?

I do not smoke around children, I will not smoke inside a house or the car of a non-smoker. I have absolutely no problem with that. However I do believe it is getting a little out of hand when smoking is banned in places like clubs and pubs. I go to either of these venues for a meal and a drink and I have to go outside to enjoy a cigarette afterwards. What was wrong with the original concept of having both smoking and non-smoking areas? In Australia, there's even talk of banning smoking on all beaches. Well, I'll be getting my tan in the backyard if ever that becomes a reality. What I resent most is being told what to do in a presumably free country. The dirty looks and the induced coughing bouts and wheezing of people when a smoker is nearby annoys me like hell. I'd rather someone asked me politely if I could move away with my 'poison' than be so rude with their exaggerated gestures.

I have often put up the argument that if smoking is so harmful then maybe the Government should step in and make it illegal. Although I do not suppose that would completely recify the problem, as the whole smoking debate is a hypocrisy in itself. What logic exists in putting a product on the market (available to all who want it)that clearly states on the packaging that its contents are harmful to take? I think it is reasonable to assume that anything which is considered harmful for public consumption should resolutely be excluded from being marketed. Without wanting to throw a smokescreen over the cigarette issue here,I do believe there should be more emphasis on the dangers of alcohol. Especially its association with drink-driving. If by the end of the day I have smoked 30 cigarettes I have not harmed anyone - except maybe(?) myself. This is the whole point: my health, my life, my business!

0 comments: